Dogs are mealtime opportunists. You’re finishing your dinner, and Sparky thinks it’s his turn to chow down on whatever table scraps are left on your plate. Or you’re grabbing a quick snack, and you look down to see Spot looking up at you with those big, begging eyes. When it comes to snagging a bite, there’s no bad handout in your dog’s opinion. However, there are some foods that shouldn’t become treats for your dog, no matter how much they beg.
Some foods that are even considered healthy for humans can be downright toxic when they’re ingested by your dog. Others won’t be deadly, but can still cause some serious discomfort for your canine. The best thing is to stick with the dog food your veterinarian recommends for your pet, but it’s natural to want to give treats every now and then. That’s well and fine, as long as you avoid using these foods.
If you come home to find that Fido raided the pantry, or you accidentally give your dog one of these snacks without thinking about it, make sure you seek expert advice. Call your veterinarian, and ask what you should do. You can also call the ASPCA’s Animal Poison Control Center at 888-426-4435.