RESTRICTIONS: SNTV clients only. Scheduled news programmes only. No Access USA. No Archive. No Internet.
The Denver Broncos got their first real taste of Peyton Manning on Monday, May 21st, with a spirited, fast-paced workout - the four-time MVP's first full practice in more than 16 months.
Quarterback Peyton Manning took part in the Denver Broncos' OTA (Organized Team Activities) on Monday, his first official practice with his new team.
Manning looked great, showing zip and accuracy on his passes, comfort under center, complete command of his offense and no ill effects from the nerve injury that caused weakness in his throwing arm.
Manning was the most prized free agent in NFL history following his release from the Indianapolis Colts after 14 seasons. He missed the Colts' entire 2011 campaign due to a series of neck operations.
His signing in Denver led to Tim Tebow's trade to the New York Jets, despite a thrilling run to the playoffs guided by the younger QB. Manning's last game played was a wild-card playoff loss to the Jets in January of 2011.
Two more days remain during these OTAs, followed by a three days of OTAs next week, four days of OTAs the following week and finally a three-day minicamp in mid-June.
SHOTLIST: Denver Broncos Headquarters At Dove Valley, Englewood, Colorado, USA. 21 May, 2012.
1. 00:00 Peyton Manning takes a practice snap and rush
2. 00:14 SOUNDBITE: (English) Peyton Manning, Denver Broncos Quarterback, on how he did: "I don't know, I mean, it's hard to say. This was one step, there's kind of different phases, you know, training camp would kind of be your next phase - putting on your shoulder pads and preseason, regular season so I'm kind of taking it one step at a time. But I was excited for this day to get here and (I) look forward to watching the film, we'll go in and watch the film as an offense after this and learn from it - we'll see some good things, you'll always see some things you can improve on and we'll go from there."
3. 00:40 Manning takes a practice throw
4. 00:51 SOUNDBITE: (English) Peyton Manning, Denver Broncos Quarterback on the differences between the Colts and the Broncos: "There's no question it's different because you've got different terminology and different players, there's not question it's different so the more repetitions you get ... I do feel on the field reps are the best types of reps, there's classroom work - which is important, you have to study it and take your notes - but there's nothing quite like being out there on the field executing the play, going against, you know, fast defensive players like Von (Miller) and Champ (Bailey) so that's the best way to learn in my opinion."
5. 01:22 Manning takes a practice handoff
6. 01:30 SOUNDBITE: (English) Peyton Manning, Denver Broncos Quarterback: "for me there's the challenge, there's the physical challenge and the mental challenge, you know, of being able to execute these new plays and knowing where these new receivers are going to be and also seeing kind of what you, you know, what you can do and so there is no question it's a different mentality for me in these OTAs as it has been in other years because of all the changes but I look forward to the challenge and I just can't tell you how important these OTAs are. I think they're important for everybody. But when you're a new player, on a new team, certainly coming off an injury, I think they certainly take added importance, and I thought today was an excellent start and I look forward to the rest of the time that we're here.''
7. 02:12 Manning takes a practice snap and throw
(Copyright 2012 by The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved.)